Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lots of goings on ...

I am so sorry for being so absent. I have had my daughter staying with me for the past 6 weeks because of her difficult pregnancy. We've had a few scares, so she was basically put on bed rest at seven months. So we have been preparing for our new additions eminent arrival.

I was able to do a little bit of stitching though. I was getting frustrated with all the confetti on my HAED SAL project "Curl up with a good book". Originally it had been worked on 28ct White Lugana, what a nightmare. So, I decided I would like it in a bigger format, so I changed to 18ct White Aida, and it has been a lot easier to work. So I managed to complete a quarter of page 1.

I even managed to work on last years SAL project "SK Masquerade", I really would like to get this completed this year, because I have my eye on so many other projects.

So at this point in time "she" has half a face. I really have to force myself to work on this though, and actually now that I take another look at this photo, I've noticed that I have actually gone on a bit further. But I will post an updated picture next time. So I haven't been able to get back to "Eldar" yet either, I was more focused on restarting "Curl Up", but I hope to get a bit of work in on "Eldar" before the end of the month. With all that has been going on I didn't even get around to setting goals for myself this month.

The wonderful news, my daughter had her baby last weekend. A beautiful little baby boy "Caleb Jonathan", named after our eldest son (Jonathan). He came into the world in a bit of a rush because he had foetal distress, so we had every possible midwife, nurse, and registrar available to help, in case of complications. When his head had delivered it was discovered that his umbilical cord was wrapped once around his neck and again around his body. SCAREY!!! I was finding it very difficult to keep it together, because my daughter kept saying "Mum is he okay?" That was the longest hour, that I have had to go through.

Our daughter had a really bad tear and she was rushed off to theatre, so she asked my husband and I, if we could go with the baby to the NICU, because she said "He would be okay if we were with him". That was not what I wanted to hear. All I could see, was this tiny little baby with an oxygen mask on, struggling his little heart out to just breathe. The nurses in NICU, managed to get him to breathe comfortably, and then eventually without a mask, the joy I felt when I was allowed to see him again, was so overwhelming, all I could do was cry.

When both my husband and I had managed to calm ourselves down, I asked him to go and find out how much longer our daughter was going to be in "Recovery". He wasn't allowed to see her but the nurses said that they would ring when she was being brought out. I had just left my husband with our little baby so that I could call both my parents and my inlaws, and my daughter was wheeled around the corner. She was so relieved when she saw me standing there. I told her all about what had gone on and then took her into NICU to see her beautiful baby boy. WOW, what a rush!! He arrived at 5.29pm on 6 March 2011 and weighed 3.225kg (7lb 10oz) I think.

March - plan of attack
  • Stitch on "Curl Up" (HAED SAL) project
  • Stitch on "Eldar" - 1000 stitches
  • Stitch on "SK Masquerade" - complete 1/4 of page 2 - (done)

Until next time, happy stitching


  1. Hi Helene!It takes courage to restart a work! It looks great, so you have made the right decision. Keep om the good work. Congrats to you and your daughter. And welcome to Caleb Jonathan. He will have the pleasure to see all his grand-ma's beautiful artworks.
    Happy stitching

  2. Congrats on the new baby. Your HAEDs look great.