Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Out and about...

Sorry but I have been "MIA" so to speak. Mainly trying to get some of my September to do list out of the way, but also because we just decided to on the spur of the moment to visit my parents in Russell.

I forget how nice it is at this time of year, blossoms and blooms everywhere, house maintenance going on all over the place (minor fixes after winter) and not as many tourists around. The car ferry trip over was absolutely beautiful, but for the rest of the weekend we got to be the "tourists". I didn't realise that there were so many places that I hadn't taken my husband to, you would think that after 20 years of marriage you would have shown him all those wonderful places you got to enjoy as a child (but then again, you tend to take these things for granted).

He wanted to go up to the flagstaff, the views from here are
wonderful, (you don't appreciate those as a child, and because you've already seen it, you don't go back), my biggest mission was trying to get both the flag pole in Russell and the flag pole in Waitangi in the same photo. Not that easy as you will see, the odd white outline on the left of this photo is the flagpole in Russell and over in the distance you can just make out the one in Waitangi.

Over on another part of the hilltop is a giant sundial, and the base is made up of a mosaic of the Bay of Islands, we were trying to pick out where my parents live and the township.

Look at what was right in front of our car when we parked it.



Our next stop was the next bay and we decided to go for a walk around the rocks, really because I knew there was another bay on the other side. It was so lovely and private, so we sat there and talked and looked for "sea gems", (old glass) and basically wasted the rest of the afternoon, dreaming about what we would do in the future, like what to have for dinner that night.



Mum and Dad lead such an active life here that from Thursday to Sunday they eat out at all sorts of different places. What a great life, I am definitely going to retire here, hubby wants to begin retirement next month, after we have broken the sad news to the kids. (I can see that going down like a big lump of dirt)....

So I am going to take myself back to the secluded bay and dream some more, because in those dreams I have completed all these "to do's" and living the dream.

Until next time, happy stitching

No comments:

Post a Comment